Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The beauty of nature, the beast of the machine

There was a lot of thought that was put into this business venture. Whether or not the business succeedes is yet to be seen. But I have thought long and hard since leaving my last temporary job reading water meters. It certainly was not a very rewarding job, but it it gave me a *LOT* of time stuck with just me and my thoughts. And I actually realized a few things about myself as I was mindlessly tracking down water meters and recording the numbers. The job gave me independence, which is what I needed. There was no one looking over my shoulder. The weather was great. There was no cubicle to report to. I was free to bask in God’s glorius weather, free to work at my own pace, and FINALLY I was freed from the cumbersome chains of the capatilist machine. I, the beaten down and weary proletariat, was still busting my ass for the public utility mammoth monoploy for peanuts while they raked money in hand over fist, but I actually found a sense of liberation in my job. I had some life changing thoughts and moments during those mundane days reading water meters. Quite simply, to paraphrase a favorite movie of mine, “humans were not meant to spend 40+ hours a week stuck in a cubicle while listening to eight different bosses drone on about TPS reports!!!!” And if I'm honest with myself, I struggle with respecting authority. I always have. Some call it Oppositional Defiant Disorder, since everything has to be labeled. Additionally, I also have a severe distaste for the capitalist system of “you work hard for minimal pay while I rake in the profits.” This fundamental character trait really puts me behind the 8-ball in trying to succeed in “the real world.” So, to hell with it. I’m starting my own business doing what I love and focusing on my strengths. If it works, awesome. If it doesn’t work then I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it At least I won't be out any capital. God provides for the sparrows and I’m confident He will provide for Jill and I. Honestly, I’m already feeling overwhelmed. Without really taking this thing live I *SERIOUSLY* already have more demand than I think I can supply! I suppose this is a good problem to have. I am already thinking of ways to expand when I haven’t even really opened shop!!!! I just feel blessed that I am even in such a position to pursue that which I love with the ones I love. Thanks all for your support and encouragement. Stay tuned my friends…..

3 comments:

  1. For those lucky enough to know Josh, you know he's doing exactly what he should be and he WILL make this work. This is going to be a wild ride and I am so glad to be on it with him. It's fun to see Josh making cold calls, using his creativity for marketing and promotions, researching multiple possibilities and ideas....and watching it all come together. This is what you were born to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome and I wish you well! I have yet to find my calling in life so for now I am just another cubicle slave grinding out TPS reports like most of the world! Ha ha...so true all that you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah......did you get the memo on that???
    Thanks for following Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your questions and comments below. They will be added to the page as soon as I can moderate them. Thanks for contributing!